The Generic Recording Format (GRF) provides a simple, unified, network-oriented way to handle digital waveform data from a variety of digital seismic instruments. The idea is to use a standards-based networking approach to moving the data from place to place and provide a collection of simple, platform, and device independent tools that allow the user to build the network that fits their particular needs.
A brief overview of the GRF in PDF format is available here: GRFDecription.pdf (136kb)
Most of our documentation is distributed in Adobe® Portable Document Format (PDF) version 4. The free Adobe Acrobat® Reader® software, or its equivalent, should be used to view and/or print these documents.
GRF release 1.2
Here is the GRF specification document, assigned numbers list, and sample waveform data.
- GRF Version 1.2.0 – 2003-05-05
- The GRF 1.2.0 format reference manual: GRF.pdf (286kb PDF). This is the document that defines the GRF.
- The current GRF Assigned Numbers master list: grf_assigned_numbers.txt (5kb). If you need GRF numbers assigned to you, please send us your request along with a brief description of your application and we will be happy to update this list.
- 20 minutes of three-channel, 100 sps data in four contiguous, five-minute long, GRF packet image files (.grf files) in a compressed zip archive: GRFExampleData.zip (597kb).
The GRF Tools Suite is the open reference implementation of the GRF. The GRF Tools Suite is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
- GRF Tools Suite Version 1.3.3 – 2006-04-30.
- The GRF Tools Suite reference manual: GRFTools.pdf (621kb).
- Release notes (12kb).
- Win32 binaries, configuration files, and documentation in a zip archive: grftools-win32-1_3_3.zip (896kb).
- x86 Linux 2.4.x binaries, configuration files, and documentation in a compressed (gzip) tarball: grftools-linux-x86-1_3_3.tgz (730kb).
- CVS export of compete source tree with DOS line ends in a zip archive: grftools-src-1_3_3.zip (359kb) or with UNIX line ends in a gzip compressed tarball: grftools-src-1_3_3.tgz (266kb).